Thursday 20 January 2011

Not Elizabeth Bennett

I had these ideas in my head that I would be like Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice when I went of my first walk about town. I didn't. I doubt that Elizabeth had to worry about being hit by cars, feeling overwhelmed when standing in the TESCO (like a Walmart), feeling annoyed when a blister started forming on her heal from her new walking shoes, or having to carry two grocery bags back home in the rain. No, I don't think she worried about those things. I on the other hand expierenced all of the above.
Let's start with the driver-pedestrian relationship here in England. Driver's don't care about pedestrians and pedstrians don't care about drivers. I on the other hand care about my life so if I have to yield to cars, I guess that is what I am going to do. Because, even if you have what looks like LOTS of time to cross the road chances are that the driver is going to speed up then honk at you when he is a centimeter away from hitting you which makes you run faster.
Now, when I go shopping at West Edmonton Mall I am not overwhelmed I just go in and bing, bang, boom I'm in and everything is done. At this mall I walked in and I felt like Alice in Wonderland...I didn't know where I was going, everyone was talking funny, the stores are arranged backwards from how they are here. I didn't get half of what I wanted because I was so overwhelemed. I forgot that I had a shopping list and I really just wanted to cry.

So, the morel of this story is if you go to live in a foreign contry don't go shopping  the first time you decide to venture out of the house all by yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Beffany. *hugs* I can't imagine how overwhelming that would be. I would've burst into tears right then and there...
    You can do it, my friend! It may take a long time to get used to, and it may be EXTREMELY overwhelming, but if anyone can do it...it's my monkey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Beth I sorta know how you feel! After landing in Rome, which was the first place we went to after our Greek island hopping tour (in which we were always in a group an didn't have to figure anything out on your own) we were so intimidated. Addresses didn't work the way ours worked, we couldn't find signs, there were no many roads, and little roads and yeah... it was very overwhelming. But one day it will feel like home, and you will be able to spot a foreigner feeling overwhelmed in a shop and go and say "hey, I've been you. But I am now Elizabeth Bennett, so let me help you". :)

    It's not going to be easy intergrating into a new culture, but you will do fine! Luff you!

    ReplyDelete