Tuesday 4 October 2011

Life in England


Well, I took the jump. I applied for a job. It is a TA position at St. Swithins Lower School. (In Bedfordshire they still do Lower, Middle, and Upper). The job closed last Friday, the day I applied, and it is now Tuesday and I haven’t heard anything. Which at this point I know is nothing. They have to call all of the references on everyone’s application and set up interviews and everything…I probably won’t hear anything till at least Thursday if not later. The position is in Nursery 0-5 year olds…I’m sure I will have some great stories to share with you all about them. Especially since when I talk to kids their mouths hang open and they stare and their moms apologetically say “It’s your accent” I just smile and tell them its okay and that I understand.  The job is only two days a week…Thursdays and Fridays…which would be perfect! It still gives me the rest of the week to do things around the house, maybe volunteer somewhere, teach piano if I want to. Plus it pays fairly well.

In other news Donovan and I were asked to be a part of the St. Swithins Choir! (The church we go to) On Sunday I started talking to a lady and found out that she was the organist and leader of the choir and she asked if I sang and when I said that I did she jumped all over that. I am still thinking about it but I think it could be a lot of fun. Everyone in the choir is over 50 I’m sure (and that is being generous) but such awesome people. We are really being welcomed and we feel a part of the church family already. Not a whole lot of young people, but I think we’ll find people eventually. Even just getting out and talking to anybody is good!

I am so ridiculously homesick! I don’t know if it is a good thing that UK doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving or a bad thing. On one hand we won’t have to drive around and try to make our usual 3 or 4 dinners and weigh an extra 10lbs…but on the other I miss my family so much. I’m doing okay though…looking forward to visiting whenever we actually get around to it. We do have a visit to look forward to though…Donovan’s parents are visiting us during his October break!  I believe a trip to Wales is planned and of course we have to go to London (this will be trip #5 for me) and who knows where else!

For those of you who have been asking about the mold situation. Our landlady came last Monday to take a look at it and she gave the go ahead to have the work done…but I haven’t heard anything yet and it has been a week…so hopefully soon. And…our new mattress gets delivered next Monday!!!!! I so can’t wait to get out of my Living Room and to have things looking normal again…well, never mind again…just looking normal.

Well, that’s about it. We have had an extended Fall…for the last 8 days we had temperatures of 25-30 degrees and full sun…until today. It was 19, breezy and overcast…perfect in my books!

No comments:

Post a Comment