Saturday 12 November 2011

The coming together of life.


This week I got to socialize with people again. Besides the odd “hiya, you alright?” between the odd person on the street we haven’t had much contact with the outside world in the last year. Last Saturday we went to a workshop at our church. “Going Deeper into the Psalms” and we talked to our Rector and he asked me what kinds of things I liked doing and if I was looking for volunteer work. I told him I was and he said he would introduce me to a few people on Sunday. During the announcements they mentioned that they needed volunteers to work at a Warehouse for three weeks processing boxes for Operation Christmas Child. I talked to the lady in charge, got very few details but was told to be there for 11. I didn’t go on Monday. Doreen (the lady in charge) called me Monday afternoon and asked if I was still interested. I told her I was and she said that people in the congregation would be willing to drive me if I wanted. So I went Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. It was so much fun!!! I have been coming home utterly exhausted, but it is a good exhausted. I feel like I am doing things and that I am being useful again.

I love that I can walk into the warehouse and people greet me by name and I return their greetings and it is wonderful.  And in these three days of working there I have joined a choir! Practice is Thursday nights and I don’t have to perform if I don’t want to. I can just come and sing! Apparently there are a few younger people so that would be good. I do not mind being around older people. It’s quite nice actually.
On Wednesday’s and Saturday’s our church has a Drop-In-Café for lunch. I went on Wednesday to help out and that was also great fun. I take their orders and bring them their food and smile prettily. Kids are still freaked out by accent, but I think eventually they will get used to it.

So, with all of this socializing I am feeling so much better about life and things. Now I just need to start working out a bit more and my goals will be falling into place!

Other than that not a whole lot is new! For the Fall Half-term break Donovan’s parents were here and we went down to the Southwest of England. Mainly the Somerset and Devon areas, but that didn’t stop us from driving all over the place. Every day was non-stop driving and sight-seeing. We saw three Cathedrals, thirteen Castles, two Palaces, two Stone Circles, lots of churches, one ocean…and lots of other things. It was great fun and I still can’t believe that I saw all of those things in a week!

Donovan is doing well, he is fighting a cold but I think he is winning! He has about 40 hours of marking to do this weekend, but things are doing well, he is enjoying working at the school and is making a good friend in the other male history teacher David. He is actually coming over for supper on Wednesday! (Apparently he likes my cookies.)

Things to look forward to in the future: My Birthday in London J and Christmas in Ireland or Scotland.

Many blessings on your weekend and I hope it is fantabulous!

2 comments:

  1. yAy Beth! I am so happy you are (FINALLY!) able to go out and about and be social. You were not meant to be kept indoors away from people. Sounds like you are diving right in. I hope you meet a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I do believe that I may have met someone who could be a kindred spirit. You are the one who has been encouraging me (besides family) to get out and meet people...and having your voice stuck in my head is a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete